A few weeks ago I saw a job opportunity that looked promising. Because they were needing to hire several people, my future boss was doing a couple of big group interview/job overview meetings. So I got dressed up in my best "hire me" outfit, and went to the meeting.
Right away I did a headcount. 22 of us. The ad said he needed 15-20 people and this was just 1 of 3 group interviews. Uh oh.
So the company is Fortified Financial in Lehi. They/we help people who have had hardships modify their loans so they're able to keep their homes. My boss needed processors--people who would take on families, take care of them, "hold their hands" through the process, call lenders, work the system, keep the ball rolling, and get these families the peace of mind knowing that they can keep their home. And...once we were trained, we could choose to work from home.
I knew I wanted this job. In a way I had been training for it for years, with all my failed attempts at MLM's. I knew how to talk to people, how to make them feel at ease; I knew about red tape, and about what it takes to get through it. Except...these were ALREADY paying customers! They were already "sold" on our product. It would be my job to take care of them from there. I could sooo do this!
After the overview, they took us back individually for interviews. This is where things took a turn for the worst. For some reason, I either forgot how to breath, or was hyperventilating, or a combination of both...and I stuttered and gulped a lot. None of these bode very well for a candidate who would be spending 90% of the job talking on the phone. I tried to explain to my interviewer, Becka, that I was EXTREMELY nervous, and that my speech was much better normally. I thanked her and made my escape before I could do any more damage.
On the way home, telling my hubby about it just confirmed my desire I had. I had applied for countless other jobs, but THIS was the one I wanted.
When we got home, my hubby suggested we pray as a family. We did so, and as we finished, Kyler my 10 year old gave me a hug and said, "Mom...I KNOW you're gonna get this job...because I have faith." And he did.
I then felt impressed to email my would-be boss. This is what I wrote:
Hi David,Thanks so much for meeting with all of us today. You and your conpany do great things, and I can tell that you really care about the families that you serve.By the way, I'm Jeni, I sat closest to you in the 11:00 meeting. (you may remember me because of my wiggles) Just a FYI: I have Cerebral Palsy, and because of this, I get judged a lot by first appearances, which in turn, doesn't bode very well for me when I'm looking for a job.That said, I never have let my disability get in the way of what I want. I want to express to you my desire to be part of your company. I have had extensive experience working at home and with a miryad of different clients.I will learn very quickly, work very hard, and do whatever it takes to help these families keep their homes.Thanks so much for your consideration,Jeni Roper
As the days went by, I felt anxious and nervous. I think I lost 10 pounds for lack of eating. But my Kyler kept me strong by asking every few hours, "did they call yet?" Then with a smile, "They will, and they will hire you because of my faith."
I knew that they were starting training on the next Monday, so I'd have my answer soon. Then, I did.
"We're sorry, but the position has been filled."
WHAT? Oh jeez! I was crushed. But it was when I thought about having to face my Kyler...that's when I fell apart. I fell to my knees and pleaded with my Heavenly Father for understanding. I got up, went to my computer and typed out another email:
Hi Dave,I wanted to thank you again for taking the time to meet with me. I understand your decision, but I stand by my guns that we could have made a good fit.I honestly thought I was getting this job, that's how connected I felt to it. (I've never written an "after rejection" email) No one would have worked harder for you....but more importantly for your families.I would have made it work. I would have built rapport. I would have taken care of my families. I wouldn't have given up. I would have closed files. And your record holder would have competition.I wish you the best,Jeni Roper
This was Friday. For some reason I felt like I shouldn't give up. It could have been denial, I suppose, but honestly I couldn't tell my son yet.
So Monday morning, I got up, showered, got dressed for work, and composed another email:
Hi again Dave,Okay, okay, I'll give you one more chance to hire me. If you're still afraid of me, I'm fine with starting with less files than everyone else to prove to you I can do this. Seriously, what do you have to lose? (I think I've proven to you that I'm relentless...*grin*)But you better hurry up and call me...doesn't training start today? I'm ready to go...just waiting on you!Good luck!Jeni Roper
About an hour later, I receive this in my email...it was just one line:
Jeni-If you still want the job, come in ASAP.
Holy Cow! I ran and grabbed Kyler and told him 1st. Then I told the rest of my family, and we knelt in a prayer of thanks. I know it was because of the faith of my Ky that I got this job.
I hurried to work, and when there was a break, I thanked Dave for giving me a chance. His response?
"Well I had to. I admire your tenacity."
So that's how I got my job. And three weeks later, I'm still lovin' it...I still know that this is where I'm supposed to be.

Jeni, that brought tears to my eyes. Prayers of faith do work, and little tenacity never hurt anyone. :)
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome - your tenacity helped that company avoid a costly mistake.
ReplyDeleteYou are a very special lady. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great story! I'm so glad you shared it. I'm glad you are loving your job.
ReplyDelete